Having poor posture is incredibly common in our society. Individuals often spend a lot of time on computers or in a sedentary position where their posture is not ideal. Because of this, overtime, certain muscles become weaker which may lead to a worsening of the poor posture.
The good news is that there are numerous different exercises that individuals can’t do to improve their posture and hopefully offset some of these age related changes that make our Posture worse. when we are talking about the muscles we need to strengthen to improve posture, they are largely going to be your back muscles. These muscles often are neglected in our day-to-day activities and when they become weak can lead to the dreaded hunchback posture that many seniors and individuals with disabilities deal with. Listed below are five great exercises that you can do with a Thera band to improve your posture.
If you need to purchase a Theraband, you can find them here:
- Band Pull Apart
- This exercise is a great one that targets your rear shoulder muscles. These muscles are often underworked which is why this exercise is so important for this muscle.
- External Rotation
- This exercise doesn’t contribute to getting good posture, but does help some of the shoulder pain we might have one we have hunchback posture. This exercise targets the external rotation muscles which are often impinged and weak in individuals with poor posture.
- Seated Row
- A great overall exercise that strengthens most of the muscles in your back. In addition to this you also get some work in your bicep muscles and forearm muscles which help keep your arm stable and strong.
- Straight Arm Pull Down
- This is another exercise that will target the big portion of your back muscles. This exercise allows us to hit the back at a slightly different angle and get a little more work for those neglected muscles.
- Face Pulls
- Similar to the row, this exercise will target most of the muscles in your back. This does place a little more focus on your posterior shoulder muscles which are often neglected as we mentioned.
As you can see, there are a lot of different banded exercises we can do to hopefully improve our posture. If you are interested in seeing a full demonstration on all of these exercises, make sure to check out our YouTube video here.
if you need to purchase a Thera band to do some of these exercises you can find them here.
We wish you the best of luck on improving your posture, and hope you find some of these exercises helpful.
We are here to help you not just survive in your life, but THRIVE!